Saturday, October 20, 2007

space

According to Art Fundamentals space is "the interval or measurable distance, between points or images." In the photo below i have created the illusion of space through motion and linear perspective.


I love the form of this image. I didn't notice the american flag until after i got the image uploaded onto my computer. The flag really makes you pause to look at it. My eye is first drawn to the focal point which is the 14th street sign. The vertical rectangular shape of the pole the sign is on contrasts with the yellow rectangular line. My eye goes down the green pole and then up the yellow line. Once to the top i view the lights to the right. These lights point to the train. My attention to the train and the red lights on it lead me to the flag.

The motion in this image is due to my manipulation of the shutter speed on my camera. The effects of this can be seen in the blurs of the people getting off the subway and wonderful long lines of red light coming off the subway. Motion can also be seen in the reflection of the fluroscent lights on the train coming from the ceiling.

Linear perspective is seen on the yellow line. This line helps give the overall image a sense of space. The subway and the walkway also recead into space and gets smaller. The small scale of the line further in the distance suggests space.

I had so much fun playing around with the shutter speed. It was great that i just happend to be in New York where their is lots and lots of movement and space. Here are a few more images.



This image is great in that you can see my friends four arms. What motion is captured as she throws up her heap of leaves.



This image above has the illusion of depth and is thus plastic.



This image has lots of transparency. Bright lights and heavy shadows create a wild impression. In my opinion the form in this image is not successful in creating harmony. Variety yes but it is all so jumbles that it is hard to appreciate.



This image shows the elapsing of time. Here my friend is facing me and also has her back to me.

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Nettrice said...

I LOVE this and I am happy that you explored space through photography! Make sure to get good prints of the images for this week's critique.

 
At October 24, 2007 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Nettrice said...

FYI - Albert Bierstadt did this painting as an example of sharp/diminishing detail:
http://tinyurl.com/33q225

Close objects appear sharp and clear in detail. Those further away lack definition and seem blurred.

The Alexey Titarenko photo posted in Second Life is another example of sharp/diminishing detail:
http://www.lensculture.com/titarenko.html

Titarenko uses the long-exposure effect to create a sense of space through sharp/diminishing detail.

The work by artist Al Held is an example of interpenetration:
http://tinyurl.com/2jlo8v

Many of the planes and objects pass through each other to create space.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home