Thursday, September 20, 2007

kids doing guerilla art



I did some Guerilla art with kids i teach during recess. I have a video of them doing it and me asking them about what they experienced when they found the art on the playground. Look at my post later for a link to the video.

I was with my student and I picked up some woodchips (cool long ones) and i noticed that you could build stuff with them. I showed my first grade guy how to do it and then he showed me some cool ways to make them connect to each other. Then other kids came by and it was great for my students social skills practice.

We left the structure we had built out on the playground. As we were going inside i wondered how other kids during the next recess would react to it.

We went to recess again that day and found a bunch of the third graders making structure with the woodchips. Thats when i told the kids about guerilla art and how it is cool to leave your art out in public for others to interact with it. They loved this! Then they told me the principal told them that they had to clean it up when they were done. The bell rang and i told them that they could keep one structure up.

The kids kept making these structures all week long. Teachers in the teacher room were even talking about it during their lunch. I told the teachers about guerilla art too and they thought it was great!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Marissa said...

I think this is so amazing! Bringing Guerilla art to children what a wonderful idea. You have truly encompassed the idea of guerilla art getting even the principal and the teachers to comment on it. Your kids must love you as a teacher. Wood chip art sounds like a much more appropriate recess than all that yelling and screaming around (>_^) ...thats a face and its winking...i swear...

 
At September 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Nettrice said...

I am so happy to see that you took the assignment beyond the classroom and were able to share/spread the idea with other young artists/students.

 
At September 21, 2007 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Dominick said...

Rad.

I'm glad you let them keep one up.

 
At October 23, 2007 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Iodine said...

Wonderful idea. Years ago I watched as a little girl at the beach collected small pieces of driftwood and seagull feathers and proceeded to built creative structures with them in the sand. It was awesome.

Good job, great for the children in this school !

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home